Provenance of the Euing Collection

euing_portrait

William Euing,
owner of the Euing Ballads

The Euing ballads were initially collected in the nineteenth century by James Orchard Halliwell-Phillipps, librarian of Jesus College, Cambridge. William Euing, after whom the collection is named, purchased the collection in 1856 for £300. Euing, an insurance broker by trade, was also an avid book collector. His entire collection, including the ballads, was bequeathed to the Glasgow University Library when he died in 1874. The Euing Collection remains at Glasgow University today.

The format of the Euing collection is quite different from the Pepys and Roxburghe collections. Though often trimmed, the Euing ballads are not cut apart, nor are they pasted into bound albums; instead, they are pasted onto unbound sheets of supporting paper, and numbered consecutively at one corner, as can be seen in the Euing album facsimile below:



Album Facsimile for Euing 11



Many Euing ballads, including Euing 11 at left, show signs of having been bound elsewhere before being collected in this format.